Friday, December 31, 2010

Dear 2010

You were good.  Surprisingly good.  This time last year I was on a lovely vacation with my husband in the mountains of Virginia (don't worry- Way Back Whenesday post coming!)....and if you had asked me if I thought I'd be posting from Songtan, South Korea on New Year's Eve I would have laughed in your face!

This year I was patient.  Marshall was sent on a ridiculously long TDY to Mississippi, and I was a pregnant, single, working Mom.  I was used to the working.  I was used to the single Mom-ing.  But doing it pregnant- much harder!  Still, Marshall got to be home for much more of this pregnancy than he was with Maddox, so I am very grateful for that.

This year I was laid off.  That's the first time that ever happened.  Due to Virginia's budget cuts my teaching position was eliminated and my contract was not renewed.  It's hard not to take it personally when you love your job as much as I loved mine, but I KNOW I was not being fired.  I was just a number, just a name on a list to the people making the hard decisions about who should be let go.  And I wasn't so much heartbroken for myself as for my students.  Although it has all worked out in the long run- when I was laid off I was pretty upset.

This year I was shocked.  We wanted out of Langley, and we wanted the chance for overseas orders.  BOOM- we got Korea and got both.  Although we could still lose the Germany orders at any time, I'm starting to let myself get excited about the possibility that we could live there for 3 years.  I almost don't want to hope or plan too much, because I don't want to jinx it.

This year I changed my mind.  I'm not going to go up on a soapbox, because I truly think that every woman should be able to choose what she wants- but as far as childbirth goes, I changed my mind.  I used to think that medication, epidurals, and induction were the way to go when it was time to have a baby (and HAD all that with my first birth).  But I spent most of this pregnancy reading, studying, taking a Birthworks class, attending Birth Circles, and soaking up as much knowledge as I could about birth.  I knew there had to be something more than what birth seemed to be.  I began to trust that I was a strong, healthy woman with an uncomplicated pregnancy.  I hired a doula, was seen by midwives, and had the most empowering, amazing birth I could ever ask for.  I delivered a perfect baby boy in a safe setting, where I had the power and was supported in my every decision to let my body do what came naturally.  And so- naturally, he was born.  I am humbled.

This year I gained a lot of weight.  We'll address that tomorrow.....says Scarlett.  :)

This year I grew a human being.  And I still don't know what I did to deserve such a peaceful, easy, smiley, drooley, sweet little boy.  The pregnancy was easy, the delivery was easy, and there's just no better word to describe Maverick.  I swear he only cries about once a week.  The awe of his perfect little eyelashes, his blue-gray eyes, his red lips like his sister, his birthmark on his leg like mine...he's just so great.  I may take this back in a few months when teeth start breaking through- but for now I'll take credit for this little man who makes us so happy!!

So, 2010- you were one of the best years of my life, and one of the longest.  Ha!  But alas, I must leave you in the past and move on.  Because we've got BIG plans......just you wait and see.

1 comment:

Emily Cole said...

I like this look at the year. I'm glad you had a great year, Sis!