Friday, April 1, 2011

Korean Folk Village

My Grandmom passed away early yesterday morning.  :(  She is in a better place, and no longer confused or upset.  I'm sad for myself and my family that she is gone, but there is almost a sigh of relief for her (I hope that doesn't sound awful!!)  The kids and I will be flying back to the States for a few weeks for some good family time.  We are leaving the same day as Carla, but not on the same flights.  By the time we get back the yellow dust might have shown up (not sure why I'm interested to see it- I'm from the South where you can see the pollen blowing in the Spring breeze).  Flying with two kiddos will be a challenge, but we'll make it.  We have much less stuff than we had on the way here, and Maddox is used to walking.  I'm looking forward to seeing some family members that I only see once or twice a year, squeezing my friend Brandi (!!!) and eating at Yum Yum.  

We took Carla to the Korean Folk Village in Suwon this past Monday.  It was a chilly day, but we still enjoyed walking around and saw new things that we hadn't seen the first time!  I didn't get nearly as many pictures as Carla, this lady is the ultimate tourist!!

Marshall learned how to make a woven rice mat.  This man showed him using sign language!

One of the many types of houses they have there.

Another house.

This was in the Government Building, where the business of the town would be performed.  Including flogging.

A sign at the town gate.

A Kimchi farm.  Is this a whole town's worth of kimchi, or just one family?

On the bus ride back to Suwon Station, Maddox was falling asleep.  Check out those curtains!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Suwon! We walked the wall once (half anyway - the hilly half) and it was beautiful. I especially loved ringing the giant bell for prosperity, love and ancestors (or something like that).
Believe me, you don't want to be around for the yellow dust! Once, we had just gotten our puppy and he needed to be taken out every 4 hours - I spent the day walking him, then coming inside and vomiting, then would rest, then walk him, repeat all day. I didn't know until later that the microgram level had been 30 times higher than the "warning" level to stay indoors! Whoops! That is nasty stuff. Full of toxic metals. I always had such a hard time breathing at night too - it always felt like someone sitting on my chest!