Monday, April 4, 2011

Jet Lag

The flights over from Korea went surpringly well!  So many people were friendly and offered to help me with whatever I needed.  On the first plane (Seoul to Tokyo) a businessman in a suit held Mav while I installed his car seat (glad he didn't spit up on him!).  Right before our second flight (Tokyo to Atlanta) we met some lovely people who had a granddaughter Maddox's age, and they thought Mdx was just cute as a button.  They were seated exactly one row in front of us and said they'd be glad to watch Mdx so I could go to the bathroom, or to hold Maverick if I needed a break.  I ended up not needing their help much at all, but it was nice to know I had the option.  Diaper changes were an interesting experience- airplane restrooms are tiny anyway, and the only ones with a changing table are the handicapped ones.  The changing table folds down over the toilet and doesn't have any kind of ledge, so I was very worried that Mav was going to roll off.  Then, after I'd change him I'd use the facilities while holding him- which is a strength challenge since he's such a hunk of love!  For the third flight (Atlanta to Raleigh) the plane was full, and we were surrounded by a group of High School kids returning from a school trip.  Mdx slept and Mav waved and smiled at everyone until the last 10 minutes.  Right before we landed they both cried, and I thought "We seriously made it this far and NOW you want to cry?!"  Once we landed Mav was asleep and Mdx was too excited about seeing Gramps and her cow carseat. 

I'd love to show you pictures, but I can't find my camera at the moment!   ARG!!  I may have left it on an airplane, which is the last place I remember seeing it.....but I'm not too sad if that's the case.  It was at the end of its life anyway, the battery would only last for about 15-20 pictures, Maddox had dropped it multiple times (note to self- get child her own camera), and I had already downloaded all my pictures off of it, so I didn't lose anything important.  However, I haven't been able to take any pictures here yet during our visit!  I'll have to borrow some from Em, otherwise these posts may be pretty boring!

I can't believe how hard the jet lag is on the kids.  I feel bad because I've adjusted pretty quickly, but Maddox and Maverick both have been sleepy and somewhat cranky during the days.  I did let them nap the first day a good amount, and then today tried to limit their naps and keep them short in hopes they will sleep tonight.  BUT- last night was awful and made me rethink this whole lets-change-13-time-zones-in-one-day plan.  First, Mav was tired and cranky so I put him to bed right around 8:30.  Then Maddox went to sleep shortly thereafter at about 9.  I didn't go up to bed until 11 because we were up working on Gmom's Eulogy.  I had been in bed 10 minutes when Mav woke up.  I fed and changed him and rocked him back to sleep.  He slept from 12-1:30am.  At 1:30 he awoke and was up until 2.  Then he slept from 2-2:30 and woke up again.  I got him back to sleep around 3:00, and then Maddox woke up and said she wanted to get up and play.  I said NO and made her stay in bed, but she was awake and tossing and turning.  Mav woke again right before 4, Mdx was still awake, so I gave up and brought the kids downstairs.....having been awake since 2:30am.  Luckily I snuck in 2 short naps during the day.  The kids took shorter naps too, and hopefully will sleep better tonight!  By 7:30pm Mdx was delirious because she was so tired and melted down- so I put her into bed.  I'm crossing fingers to make it until at least 5am before both kids are awake tomorrow morning!!

So, to make a long story short- International airplane travel alone with two kids = not too hard at all!
Dealing with jet lag with two kids = much harder!!

1 comment:

JaclynJohnson said...

So glad to hear the trip over went well. Now, I am not so worried about just a three hour time change when we go to California. I'll just think about you and how much harder you had it. :-) Hope I see you when you are in town.