Monday, March 28, 2011

Answers for Lent

In a short moment of desperation I asked my facebook friends for questions that I could answer on my blog.  Not that I'm having trouble coming up with things to post about- oh certainly not. I've got nothing but time on my hands and tons of juicy stories to tell up in here.

The first person to respond was a lady named Lindsey, who I know from an online AF spouses support group, which I am no longer a part of.  She just relocated to our next base in Germany, and also has two young children- I'm looking forward to finally meeting her in person later this year!  Incidentally, the reason I am no longer a part of this group is- funnily enough- I defended John Edwards when someone (NOT Lindsey- someone else who most of the time drove me bat-$hit crazy) posted a National Enquirer article about how he was cheating on his wife and may have an illegitimate child.  This served as the proverbial camel-back-breaking-straw to me, and I told her to "grow the hell up" among other things.  I was simply tired of rumor and innuendo being used to spread gossip about whoever was the Republicans' enemy at the time.  I am friends with plenty of people who don't have the same political views that I have, and we manage to have mutual respect- with ease.  But this other person....let's just say they seemed to bring out the worst in me.  Lo and behold.....John Edwards in fact DID cheat on his wife AND had an illegitimate child, and may go down in history as being one of the biggest douchebags ever from NC- because he's certainly the first politician that ever happened to.  Open mouth, insert foot.  However, I stand by my posts- and my main beef with that whole situation was the fact that a tabloid was considered "News".  Realizing that I was putting way more time and concern into the board than I was getting out of it, I decided it was time to move on.  I've stayed in contact with those people I enjoyed, and haven't even looked back on the rest.  Onward and upward.  See- I told you I was full of juicy stories!

Now, to Lindsey's questions:
1.) Your favorite parts of being a military wife, the parts you don't like and why?
    I am thankful that my husband enjoys his job, and the security that it brings.  We are thrilled to get the opportunity to travel and see other places and cultures.  I could never have imagined how it would feel to instantly be a part of the "sorority" of military wives until I became one; it is just hard to explain.   Major plus- my husband looks really HOTT (that's a shout out to my Woodleaf cousin Stephen!  LOL!) in his dress blues.  :)   The main part that I don't like (so far) is that I will not really be able to have any kind of career as a military spouse.  As a teacher I will never obtain tenure in any school system, nor will I become vested in any retirement plan.  I love teaching, I miss it, and can't wait to get another teaching position as soon as I can.   Bonus answer:  My pet peeve- when people write Airforce- like it is oneword.  It is: Air space capital Force.  Air Force.  Not Airforce.  If your husband is in it, learn how to write it correctly.

2.)  What would you do if you won the lottery?
If we won the lottery we would invest enough of it to be able to live comfortably off the interest for the rest of our lives, and provide trusts for our children.  We would donate some of it to our favorite charities (among them Camp Kemo, Lutheran World Relief, Camp Agape, Team in Training, etc) and endow scholarships at a few favorite Universities.  After that we would probably pay off whatever debt our parents and siblings have to ensure they have comfortable lives, and fund higher education for our kids, and extended family members.  But, I honestly have no idea, because the idea of having that much money simply doesn't make sense to me.

3.)  Your answer to world peace?
I wish I knew.  I wish that there was enough peace and good in the world that militaries weren't necessary.  It seems that so much of what we do is defensive against other countries who may or may not act aggressively against us.  But to disarm and not be prepared would mean we would absolutely be overthrown and defeated.  I think one of the main proponents of peace is education.  I (perhaps blindly) believe that if we could just focus more effort on educating men and women around the world that we would spend less money and effort on fighting each other.  (Ahem- how many wars have been started by women??)  I do believe that unfortunately sometimes force is necessary, and that by using that force lives can ultimately be saved.  I understand why people want to exercise their right to own a gun, however I'm not comfortable having one in my home....and will never allow my children to "play" at violent games.  (This was mentioned at my PG book club last week, and I pretty much agree).  I've been told that now that I have a son, I will think differently in the future- I suppose only time will tell.  There is is nothing entertaining about war.  There is nothing exciting or thrilling about the suffering and dying of people, innocent or otherwise.  I never want my children to become so desensitized to it that they can play a video game where they are blasting the heads off of other people and don't think a second thought of it.  There are plenty of other things to entertain my children besides that.

4.) How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
Having only eaten a handful of tootsie pops in my life, I truly have no idea!  LOL!  I skip the pop part and just buy tootsie rolls.  :)

How's that!?  No pics of snotty noses or tales of poopmageddon 2011.  Stay tuned........

No comments: