Monday, September 3, 2012

Berlin Zoo and Sanssouci

After the chocolate factory Mav passed out in the stroller, and we headed to the Zoo.  It was a sunny and HOT day, but there were still crowds!  I hope you don't mind, but I didn't really take animal pictures, I figure just about everyone has already seen a million pictures of a monkey.

This is the side entrance to the Zoo.

This is the Aviary, it was pretty cool looking!

Finally, a decent picture of me and the kids!  Mav had just woken up and did not want to smile.

Mdx is pretending to feed this massive gorilla statue, while Mav wanted to get on top of it, and Rachel was happy to oblige!

This is the next day, when we headed to one of Frederick the Great's palaces, called Sanssouci, which means "Without Worries" or something like that.  He actually hand drew the plans for how he wanted the palace to be.  The day was cooler and Mav was in a better mood!

Mdx really wanted to be the Princess and live in this castle.

They built these fake Roman ruins....to look at.  

The courtyard of the palace.

We got to go inside, but couldn't take pictures.  We got a handheld audio tour, and the kids each got one too.  Mav just pushed all the buttons and kept using it like a telephone, but Mdx actually listened to the whole thing!  I was surprised! This palace was strictly for Frederick and his philosopher friends to hang out in, basically no women allowed!




Amazing gardens and fountains!  I definitely remember visiting this with Andrea and Brigette when Emily and I came to Germany in 1994.

The rainbow of flowers was gorgeous.


Mav enjoyed playing with his shadow- you can barely see it, but his head is really sweaty in this photo!  Also, some Asian tourists took pictures of me, taking pictures of him.  :)

 This was the New Palace, for the women and guests (and later for other German monarchs). 

Rachel, Maddox, and I definitely walked miles and miles the few days that we were there!  I can't wait to go back to Berlin and see some of the other stuff in town like the Reichstag, and Checkpoint Charlie.  Our train trip home was delayed because the heat made the trains break down (supposedly), and the kids were sweaty, crying messes by the end of it. However, ALL the people we encountered were overwhelmingly friendly and helpful.  So many people offered to help me with the suitcase (small carry-on roller bag) or the stroller.  Everyone was so nice to Mdx when she talked their ear off on the train, or while we were waiting.  So far Germans are doing their best to compete with the Koreans in how nice they are to me and the children!

2 comments:

A Day in the Life said...

It sounds like Frederick was the original President of the He-man Woman Haters.

Emily Cole said...

It is so cool to see pictures that are of things I remember seeing too! I really want to go back now so I can see them from an adult perspective. Your kids are so stinkin' cute, I am not surprised that tourists are taking pictures of you guys!